Monday, January 03, 2005

Exchange 2003 24seven errata - Page 105

Happy New Years everyone! Thanks to Shawn for pointing out this little faux pas on my part. On page 105 of the Exchange 2003 Server 24seven book, I included a method for renaming the extended attribute names. I had done some research on how to do this back in 2000 when people were asking how to do it because they could do it with Exchange 5.5 and earlier.

This is a really bad idea and you should not do it. And, the really embarrasing part is that I have known this is a bad idea since before the Exchange 2000 book was published! Yes, you read that right, the 2000 book.

While it is possible to rename the attributes, this causes problems for Active Directory Users and Computers.

I originally wrote this piece for the 2000 book, but later tested it and decided I should not include it. Unfortunately, I had already submitted the chapter to the editors and did not get it removed. When I was working on the 2003 book, I had forgotten it was in there. With the goal of using as much as possible of the original book (about 60 - 70 % of the book was re-written from scratch), that piece on page 105 got carried over from the old book. I did not notice it during my reviews of that chapter. My bad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home